While the UK has had many great releases from 88 Films and Eureka the uptake in the USA has been a lot slower but now Vinegar Syndrome is set to release a special edition of the classic Yuen Biao film Righting Wrongs (aka Above the Law) which is also set to be released in the UK by 88 Films.
The special limited edition 3-disc Blu-ray Set comes with a hard slipcase + slipcover combo (designed by Tony Stella & Earl Kessler Jr.) includes a 40-page perfect bound book and is limited to 6,000 units. Only available at VinegarSyndrome.com!
Martial Arts legend Yuen Biao stars as Ha Ling-Ching, a respected prosecutor who has always followed the rule of law but has recently found himself frustrated by the ineffectiveness of the court system. Ha is pushed over the edge by the murder of a key witness in a trial along with the witness’s entire family. Fed up with the court’s inability to punish the guilty and protect the innocent, Ha decides to take the law into his own hands and eliminate those responsible for the murders. Soon, Ha’s actions catch the interest of C.I.D. Senior Inspector Cindy See (Cynthia Rothrock) and her slovenly new partner known as Stink Egg (Corey Yuen). While trying to stop Ha, Cindy uncovers who is really behind the recent murders and the two must put aside their differences in order to take down the criminal organization before they go unpunished.
Heavily re-edited and released in different versions throughout the world, RIGHTING WRONGS – released in an English-friendly version under the title Above The Law – is one of the more infamous Hong Kong action films to be released in the 80s. Directed by prolific action director, Corey Yuen, RIGHTING WRONGS explodes with jaw-dropping fight choreography and features strong performances by Yuen Biao, Cynthia Rothrock, Corey Yuen, and Melvin Wong, along with scene-stealing fight cameos by Peter Cunningham and Karen Sheperd. Vinegar Syndrome is extremely proud to present RIGHTING WRONGS on Blu-ray, featuring three different cuts of the movie (including both the “darker” ending as well as the more “audience-friendly” ending) and loaded with a multitude of special features exclusive to this release, including the incredible THE BEST OF MARTIAL ARTS FILMS feature-length documentary from 1990 which includes several interviews and footage from the stars of RIGHTING WRONGS!
Bonus Features – (* = exclusively produced for this release):
- 3-disc Region A Blu-ray Set
- Three different unaltered original feature-length presentations of the film, including the original Hong Kong cut (96min) with Cantonese, English & Mandarin language tracks along with newly translated Cantonese-to-English subtitles; the extended and vastly different Mandarin language export cut (100min) with newly translated Mandarin-to-English subtitles; and the English friendly ABOVE THE LAW cut (92min).
- “THE BEST OF MARTIAL ARTS FILMS (1990)” (91min) – feature-length documentary hosted by John Saxon and including footage and interviews with Cynthia Rothrock, Yuen Biao, Karen Sheperd, Jackie Chan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bruce Lee and many more!
- Brand new commentary track with actress Cynthia Rothrock *
- Archival commentary track with Cynthia Rothrock
- Critical commentary track with martial arts film historians Mike Leeder and Arne Venema *
- “Fighting Wrongs” (25min) – a brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock *
- “Unscripted Justice” (35min) – a brand new interview with actress Karen Sheperd *
- “Kung Fu Was The Equalizer” (20min) – a brand new interview with actor Melvin Wong *
- “Fighting For Success” (20min) – a brand new interview with actor Peter Cunningham *
- “The Vigilante” (17min) – an archival interview with star Yuen Biao
- “Action Overload” (13min) – an archival interview with Cynthia Rothrock
- “From the Ring to the Silver Screen” (19min) – an archival interview with Peter Cunningham
- Video essay with film historians Samm Deighan and Charles Perks *
- Cantonese and English theatrical trailers for RIGHTING WRONGS
- Theatrical trailer for THE BEST OF MARTIAL ARTS FILMS
- 40-page perfect bound book with essays by film programmer Pearl Chan, author and martial arts historian Grady Hendrix and filmmaker/fan Simon Barrett *
- Photo gallery
- Reversible cover artwork
- Newly translated English subtitles
Not sure exactly how the 88 Films version will differ extra-wise, we will post when we get confirmation.
This release is locked to REGION A , it can be pre-ordered here…..RIGHTING WRONGS BLU RAY