Made at the end of the 1970s, Tōru Murakawa’s Game Trilogy launched actor Yusaku Matsuda as the Toei tough guy for a new generation. Matsuda was the definitive screen icon of 1980s until his career was tragically cut short by cancer at the age of 40, following his Hollywood debut in Ridley Scott’s Black Rain.
In these career-defining roles, Matsuda is Shohei Narumi, an ice-cool hitman of few words, a steely trigger finger, and a heart of stone, hired in The Most Dangerous Game by a company bidding for a lucrative government air defence contract to take out the competition.
In The Killing Game, Narumi finds himself caught amid violent yakuza gang warfare, while his own brutal past catches up with him in the form of two beautiful women still bearing the emotional scars of his past assignments.
In The Execution Game, Narumi falls for a mysterious saloon bar chanteuse who may or may not be part of the same, shadowy underworld organisation as the rival hitmen he is employed to rub out.
Released for the very first time outside of Japan, with cool blue cinematography by Nagisa Ōshima collaborator Seizô Sengen and a sultry score by jazz legend Yuji Ohno, Murakawa’s masterful set of films raised the bar for Japanese action movies.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS –
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all films
• Original lossless mono Japanese soundtracks
• Optional newly translated English subtitles
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
• Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Hayley Scanlon and Dimitri Ianni
DISC 1: THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME
• Brand new audio commentary by Chris Poggiali and Marc Walkow
• The Action Man, a 30-minute interview with director Tōru Murakawa
• Original Japanese theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
DISC 2: THE KILLING GAME & THE EXECUTION GAME
• Brand new audio commentary on The Killing Game by Earl Jackson and Jasper Sharp
• Brand new audio commentary on The Execution Game by Tom Mes
• Remembering Yusaku Matsuda, an interview with Yutaka Oki, film critic and personal friend of Yusaku Matsuda
• Game Changer, an interview with The Execution Game screenwriter Shoichi Maruyama
• Original Japanese theatrical trailers for both films
• Image galleries for both films