The classic Yuen Bio action film Iceman Cometh is set to be released by Vinegar Syndrome in the USA from a new 2K restoration.
Co-starring Yuen Wah and Maggie Cheung the film is about two opposing Ming Dynasty warriors who fall into an ice crevice and are then unthawed in the early 1990s to a drastically changed world. The good warrior (Yuen Biao) finds a home with a quirky prostitute (Maggie Cheung). The bad warrior (Yuen Wah), a rapist-murderer, simply picks up where he left off centuries ago. At first, they are unaware that the other still exists until Wah’s handiwork shows up again.
The film directed by Clarence Ford will be a 2 disc set and will also have a slew of bonus features including –
- Hong Kong Cut: 115 min / 1989 / 1.85:1 / Cantonese Mono & 2 English Dub Tracks
- Mandarin Export Cut: 122 min / 1989 / 1.85:1 / Mandarin Mono
- Studio supplied master with additional colour grading and restoration performed by VS
- The 115-minute ‘Hong Kong Cut’ is presented with the following mono soundtrack options: Cantonese original language with newly translated English subtitles and two English dub soundtracks (original and a late-period redub)
- Alternate 122-minute ‘Mandarin Export Cut’ is presented with it’s original mono soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles
- Commentary track with film historian & author Samm Deighan
- “Frame by Frame, Frame by Frame” – a brand new interview with cinematographer Poon Hang Sang
- “Warrior Prince” – an interview with actor Yuen Biao
- “Nemesis” – an interview with actor Yuen Wah
- Hong Kong Trailer
- English Language Trailer
- Alternate English title sequence
- A booklet with essay by film historian and author John Charles
- Reversible cover artwork
- Newly translated English subtitles
- REGION A LOCKED
The film is also due for a region B release in the UK from 88 Films, more news on that one as we get it.